Human Social Interaction
The following has been adapted from material on the ASPCApro website.
Here are some ways to engage with cats in your care:
- Gently talking to the cat
- Lap sitting
The cat must be allowed to approach and choose the level of physical contact it desires. Caretakers should be careful not to force an interaction on a cat. The degree and nature of human contact a given cat prefers depends on its socialization to people and involves genetics, early rearing conditions, life experiences and personal preference.
Signs that indicate that the cat welcomes interaction include:
- Slow or affiliative blinking
- Headbutting against a person’s hand or body
- Staying in close physical proximity
- Rubbing or pushing against a person
- Rolling around to the side and back in a relaxed manner