Stress will decrease an animal’s immune function. This can decrease the ability to react to the vaccines, and decrease protection from infectious agents.
We must minimize any practices that cause stress for the animals residing in the Centre.
Practices to Minimize Include:
- Loud noises and clanging cage doors
- Excessive handling of animals
- Excessive cleaning of residence (employ spot cleaning whenever possible)
- Dietary changes whenever possible
Practices to Ensure Include:
- Adequate nutritional intake
- Adequate pain control
- Regular schedules of feeding, cleaning, social interaction, walks
- Natural day/night cycles
Again, vaccination saves lives!! Vaccination is currently the main technique used to increase resistance of animals and humans to infection. No vaccine is 100% effective and there are many infections for which vaccines are unavailable.