Commonly asked questions about RVT’s
The Ontario SPCA and Humane Society has some wonderful Registered Veterinary Technicians (RVTs) employed within our organization. October is RVT Month and we are excited to have a whole month to celebrate them!
It’s no secret that a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) is an integral part of any animal health care team, but they are particularly valuable in a shelter environment. These skilled, trained professionals offer support on how to manage the animals in our care and confidently provide their expertise in terms of medical advice and next steps in our care.
Why is it so valuable to have RVTs on our team?
RVT’s are committed to providing the highest level of care available and work to the full extent of their capabilities. As shelter health professionals, RVT’s participate in the decision making of individual animal planning. This role aids and further enhances the health and welfare of all animals in our care.
So, what exactly is an RVT’s role in our animal centres?
The role of an RVT at the Ontario SPCA includes::
- Performing daily rounds – ensuring that the 5 freedoms are being met for each individual animal every day. This includes both the medical and behavioural components of animal health and well-being.Aiding in the early identification of illness or infectious disease and implementing isolation protocols accordingly.
- Providing a high level of nursing care in our animal centres;
- Establishing and re-evaluating enrichment plans daily, monitoring post-operative patients, administering medications through veterinary guidance and protocol.
- Conducting intake exams, identifying abnormal signs and triaging to ensure animals are receiving veterinary care in a timely manner.
- Ensuring biosecurity protocols are understood and being followed to help keep animals in our centres healthy.
If you’d like to become part of this innovative, exciting, and engaging RVT team with the Ontario SPCA, please keep an eye on our employment page for job opportunities.
Join us in celebrating and thanking all of our hard-working RVTs who are making a difference!
As an animal lover all the work you do
As an animal lover all the work you do to help ensure that every dog and cat can find their forever home that is filled with love is greatly appreciated.