Tips for a safe Labour Day with pets
Whether you’ve been waiting for this weekend, or it snuck up on you, we’d like to give you tips to have a safe Labour Day with pets.
Check out our top 9 safety tips to make your Labour Day with pets a success!
9 safety tips you need for Labour Day
- Are you too hot? Your pet is too: Make sure you’re aware of your companion animal’s comfort level with the heat. Have water readily available! Also limit time outside to short periods and try to go for walks in the early mornings or evenings when the weather is cooler.
- Water safety: Never leave your dog unsupervised by any body of water. Even the strongest swimmers can tire or get caught in a current. If you’re going out in a boat, outfit your dog with a canine-specific lifejacket.
- BBQ safety: Be aware of where your furry friend is while you’re using the barbecue. If you’re not beside it, close the grill to reduce the risk of injury. More patio season tips here.
- People food – not animal food: Not all people food is good for our companion animals to eat. Do your research before handing your furry friend scraps off the table. If you have socially-distanced guests coming by, ask them not to share their food with your animals.
- Open doors: You may be stepping in and out of the house to garden, or simply enjoy the nice day. Be careful to make sure all exits are secured so your furry friends don’t run away if they’re scared.
- ID: Verify your animal’s ID is current. Should your furry friend run away, having an updated ID tag or microchip on them will help ensure local animal services can find you to reunite you with your lost friend.
- Wildlife encounters: Reduce the risk of wildlife encounters by bringing pet food indoors at night, cleaning barbecue grills after use and keeping doors closed.
- Fireworks: Some people set off fireworks for Labour Day weekend. If there are fireworks around, keep your companion animals safe and comfortable with our firework tips.
- No Hot Pets: Leave your furry friend at home if you can’t take them with you when you leave your car while running errands etc. Parked cars can quickly reach deadly temperatures, even on relatively mild days with the car parked in the shade and the windows slightly open.
We hope you found these tips helpful and that you have a great Labour Day with pets and your family!
Thank you for looking after these animals
Thank you for looking after these animals — I would love to have them all in my house!