Water Safety Tips for Your Pets
Summer is always a fun season for spending lots of time outside in the sun! Even more so when you can spend it with your favourite furry friend.
Keeping your pet cool while enjoying those sunny days is definitely important. But it’s equally important to know what risks come from being around water! So here are a few water safety tips for your pets, so you can keep your dogs safe while they enjoy cooling off.
– Not all dogs are good swimmers! Don’t assume your dog will be fine if you push them in, and never leave your dog unsupervised by any body of water.
– Heat from the sun tends to be more intense around water, so it’s important to watch your dog for signs of sunburn or heat stroke.
– Buying your dog a lifejacket is also very important! Dogs can get cramps, just like we can, or they can get tired too far from shore. Even if a strong swimmer, there may be a strong current, and you can’t always know your dog’s stamina.
– Remember that your dog will be much heavier when being pulled out of the water than on land, so if you’re out on a boat, make sure you know you can pull your dog back in if they fall out!
– Hot sand can blister your dog’s paws, so keep them off of it as much as possible.
– Take your dog’s collar off before they go swimming. This will keep them from snagging or getting it caught on underwater plants or branches. Also watch out for hazards around your dog that they may be missing!
– When by a pool or lake, have a source of freshwater nearby. There are chemicals in pools that can cause your pet a stomachache, and in lakes there are parasites that can cause vomiting, and diarrhea, among other health issues.
If you follow these tips, you’ll be one step closer to keeping your dog safe and healthy this summer!
While keeping your pets cool, consider taking the No Hot Pets pledge and pledge not to leave your pets in a hot car this summer. In the summer heat, cars can quickly read deadly temperatures, even on mild days with the car in the shade and the windows slightly open.
Visit nohotpets.ca to learn more and to take the pledge of responsible ownership.
Read more water safety tips for your pets on Care2’s blog here!
As an animal lover all the work you do
As an animal lover all the work you do to help ensure that every dog and cat can find their forever home that is filled with love is greatly appreciated.