Cold weather tips for you and your pet!
by Ontario SPCA and Humane Society | General Pet Care | October 18, 2018
It’s hard to believe our warm weather days are fading and frosty mornings are on the way! Brush up on your pet care knowledge to keep your pet healthy and comfortable during this fabulous fall season.
- Cars provide a source of heat for curious cats. When the car is off, cats may seek shelter under the warmth of the hood. Honk the horn or knock on the hood of the car to make sure you don’t have any unexpected cat nappers.
- When the temperatures dip way down, keep pets indoors and limit long walks. If it’s too cold for you, it’s probably too cold for your pet.
- Bathing your pet frequently in the cooler weather can cause dry, itchy skin. Allow your pet’s natural oils to keep their coat shiny.
- Never leave your pet in the car! Cars act like refrigerators during subzero temperatures.
- Are you prepared for your pet’s care in emergency cold weather conditions? Be sure to have an emergency pet survival kit.
- Provide your pet with lots of clean, fresh water. Dehydration can happen in the cold weather due to diminished thirst response.
- Ensure your pet has a comfortable, dry place to sleep away from drafts or wet conditions.
- If you’re planning a fall weekend getaway, talk to your veterinarian about any additional vaccinations your pet may require before you board them at a kennel.
There are lots of ways pet owners can enjoy crisp fall days with their pets. Keep those paws cozy this fall with our pet care tips!
For every animal you save
For every animal you save, every animal who feels loved in their last moments, and for everything else you do; thank you and God Bless.
Sign up for news and updates
Thank you for joining our online community.