Halloween Safety Tips for you and your pet
Are you ready for some frighteningly good fun this Halloween? While you’re enjoying the candy and costumes, be sure to follow our top pet safety tips!
- Treats are not suitable for pets. Make sure candy is stored in a pet-proof area, such as a cupboard or high shelf. Save the candy for yourself, and check out some of our DIY pet treat recipes!
- Costumes should be pet friendly. Some pets do not enjoy dressing up, so be conservative when choosing a costume. Avoid costumes that are tightly fitting, have small pieces that could be chewed or choked on, and make sure they allow your pet to comfortably move around.
- Watch the door! Trick-or-treaters are fun visitors, but your pet may not agree. Keep pets safely enclosed in another area of the house so there are no accidental escapes.
- Keep lit objects up off the floor and inaccessible to your pet. Candles can be hazardous if knocked over, and some pets (especially curious puppies or kittens) may be inclined to chew on electrical cords.
- Glow sticks are a great way to be easily visible on a Halloween night walk, however the liquid inside is not safe for pets. Dispose of glow sticks in a trash can with a lid or outside of the house to prevent pets from helping themselves to a taste test.
- Spooky costumes and ringing doorbells may cause stress or anxiety in pets. If your pet tends to react negatively to lots of activity, speak with your veterinarian about strategies for keeping them calm.
- Pumpkins are fun to carve, but can cause upset stomach in pets. Carve your pumpkins outdoors or in a pet-restricted area of your home to prevent pet nibbles and tummy aches.
Ready to enjoy Halloween? Snap a memorable pic of your pet by taking it at their eye level, don’t wait until it’s dark outside and take as many as possible (pets are always on the move) to make sure you get that perfect picture. Happy Halloween!
Thank you for looking after these animals
Thank you for looking after these animals — I would love to have them all in my house!