Keeping dogs safe outside: The Ideal Doghouse
During the winter months, we receive a higher volume of concerns relating to dogs outdoors. While the Ontario SPCA strongly recommends bringing your dog indoors, dogs that live primarily outdoors must be provided with appropriate shelter and a regular supply of fresh water in accordance with the Ontario SPCA Act.
Here is more information on the Ontario SPCA’s Ideal Doghouse and things to consider before leaving your dog outside for extended periods
Things to consider before housing your dog outdoors:
- Dogs should be acclimatized to outdoor living when they are young and the weather is warm.
- During severe weather, dogs may have to be brought inside the family home.
- Aged, young or infirm dogs should not be housed outdoors, especially during cold weather.
- Dogs with short coats are prone to frostbite and cannot endure the cold temperatures very easily.
Things to consider when building your Ideal Doghouse:
- Exteriors should be finished with a weatherproof material or non-leaded paint.
- Bedding materials should be put in the sleeping area, straw is recommended over blankets. Bedding should be changes every 1 to 2 weeks
- A burlap or canvas outside flap should be used to provide more weather protection
- The house should be elevated on bricks or cinder blocks to keep the floor dry.
It’s critical that your pets stay warm during the winter months and all year long. Any dog being kept outside at any time of the year needs to have a proper and suitable dog house according to the Ontario SPCA Act.
For more information on the Ideal Doghouse, as well as instructions on how to build the perfect housing for your outdoor dog, read our Ideal Doghouse brochure.
Additional tips on keeping your pets safe during the cold winter months can be viewed online at www.ontariospca.ca.
Thank you to Bellcon Interiors for volunteering your time, energy and resources to making this video happen. To learn more, visit: bellconinteriors.ca
All of your wonderful staff & volunteers totally rock. The amazing compassion and work you provide on a daily basis is incredible.