March Break pet travel safety tips
Planning a trip over March Break? If your furry friends are embarking with you on a trip this March Break, we’ve got the top five tips to help ensure you travel safely together!
1. Today, a surprising number of accommodations welcome animals. Before booking, ask about pet policies. Lodgings may have restrictions on the types or size of animal allowed, or they may designate only certain rooms for animals.
2. When travelling, be sure to pack all necessary items for your furry friend, which may include: food, water, leash, medications, toys, blankets, first aid kit, any required documents (e.g. proof of vaccinations), litter supply, carpet deodorizer, chew toys, grooming supplies, generous supply of food and a can opener and spoon for canned food.
3. If you are planning to travel by train, the same precautions and guidelines should be followed as with the other forms of travel. Some train companies do not allow animals on board, so research their animal travel policies before booking your trip.
Learn about VIA Rail’s Travel Policy for companion animals.
4. Travelling by air? Take your companion animal to the veterinarian to update all vaccinations and obtain any legal documents needed (very old, very young, pregnant, ill and injured animals should not fly). Make sure to note that flying can be very stressful for your furry friend and may not be advised. If air travel is necessary, ask your veterinarian for assistance with travel anxiety.
5. If you are travelling by car, for your furry friend’s safety and your own, make sure to keep animals secure. Cats should always be in a carrier with a comfy blanket inside and a towel over top. For dog’s safety keep them in the back, either in a carrier or a seatbelt for animals (a special harness that attaches to the car’s seatbelt).
By following these tips, you can make the most of your trip.
For more animal travel tips, visit our fact sheet!
All of your wonderful staff & volunteers totally rock. The amazing compassion and work you provide on a daily basis is incredible.