Thanksgiving treats for dogs
For many people, the Thanksgiving holiday is a time to get together with friends and family to enjoy a delicious meal together. If you want to make sure your dog doesn’t feel left out, we have some special treat ideas just for them!
Before we share about these special treats, here are a few general safety tips to keep in mind.
General safety tips
- Do not introduce new foods to your furry friend this weekend. Human food should be introduced after a conversation with your veterinarian.
- If you have company coming over, it’s important to tell them not to feed your furry friend from the table.
- Consider leaving your companion animal in a different room during mealtime with some of their own treats and favourite toys.
- Foods to watch out for include chocolate, raisins, and grapes as these can all be toxic to our furry friends. Wait to open these treats at a time when you are sure your furry friend won’t get into it.
- More about why Thanksgiving food may not be safe for your furry friend, here!
Thanksgiving treat ideas for your furry friend
Here are some treat ideas you can make for your furry friend to enjoy in their own space during Thanksgiving celebrations:
DIY Fall Pumpkin Dog Treat
- Using simple ingredients such as flour, pumpkin puree, and peanut butter*, you can roll the dough and create fun, festive shapes using cookie cutters. Bake cookies for 30 minutes, allow them to cool and let your furry friend enjoy.
DIY Apple Peanut Butter* Balls
- Peanut butter* and an apple – how easy! Just spread peanut butter on a cut up apple and freeze it. Take it out 30 minutes before serving to your furry friend!
Homemade Peanut Butter* and Banana Dog Treats
- Mix all the ingredients listed in this video and roll them into balls. Bake in oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Your dog will love these treats.
*Watch for peanut butter with artificial sweeteners such a xylitol. Xylitol can be toxic to dogs.
We hope you enjoy making these treats as much as your dog enjoys eating them! Have a great Thanksgiving!
All of your wonderful staff & volunteers totally rock. The amazing compassion and work you provide on a daily basis is incredible.