I am 15 years old, can I volunteer with the animals?
Yes! For the health and safety of our community members and animals we ask that all of our volunteers are a minimum of 15 years old.
We need to be able to communicate directly with all of our individual volunteers. Individuals must be able to independently manage all correspondence as it relates to volunteering.
To serve successfully in their chosen role, individuals need to be comfortable independently completing all steps of the volunteer experience process:
- Completing the application online, scheduling and attending a one-on-one interview.
- Scheduling and completing the required orientation and training sessions.
- Handling all individual phone and email correspondence independently.
- Following safety protocols and procedures.
- Managing their own individual volunteer schedule using our online scheduling program.
What is your volunteer process?
Candidates are asked to complete an online profile found on our webpage.
If selected, the candidate is asked to attend a get to know you interview- either through video conferencing or the telephone.
Candidates are asked to:
- Submit any required waivers and sign off on policies
- Complete any basic training appropriate for their role
- Submit driver license information for drivers abstract -if driving our vehicles
- Complete placement training
- Follow safety protocols and procedures
- Manage their own individual volunteer schedule and track hours using our online platform.
What requirements do I need to become a volunteer?
We ask volunteers to:
- Be a minimum age of 14 years old
- Complete an online profile through our onboarding system found on this website
- Complete all health and safety training, and sign required waivers
- If driving, provide a valid Ontario driver’s license & a clear drivers abstract if applicable to the role.
- Follow health and safety protocols and procedures at all times.
- Complete placement training provided for your role
- Track and manage your schedule through our online scheduling system.
- Handle all individual volunteer phone and email correspondence independently.
What are the steps to foster an animal?
Please visit our foster page for details on how to foster an animal.
What is the time commitment to volunteer?
We are looking for consistency within our teams and volunteers who can support the animals in our care. The majority of our volunteer assignments ask for a once-a-week commitment typically between 2-4 hours long, but a minimum of once every other week. Should you require an opportunity with less coverage, talk to our team during your one-on-one interview to determine the best fit!
What if I can’t join your team, but I still want to help?
Check out our make an impact globally tab for ideas and tips on how you can improve animals’ lives and their families in your community and across the globe.
What is involved in being an animal driver?
Volunteer drivers follow the same process as our general volunteers, if drivers are using our fleet vehicles, we will complete a drivers abstract. Please note, drivers’ abstracts must be clear in order to drive our vehicle. Mileage reimbursements are not available at this time.
Do you have a program for students?
We are working on a student program, designed for grades 9-12 students. Please visit our website often for announcements and information. In the meantime, check out our make an impact globally tab for ways to help today!
How can my group get involved?
Please contact your closest animal centre for details on how to get your group involved.
Please note, due to public health restrictions, capacity limits might be reduced or cancelled in some locations.
Do you have any virtual opportunities?
We are working on virtual volunteer opportunities for 2022, please visit our website often for announcements and updates. In the meantime, please check out our make an impact globally tab, for tips and actions you can take today to help animals and their families.
I don’t have a computer; can’t I just complete a paper form?
We ask that all volunteers have online access and a current email address, so we can communicate with applicants. Our web-based database is a self-scheduling system which you will use to manage your schedule and record hours contributed off-site. This will help to save the organization money on postage, printing costs, and helps to keep our program viable and efficient.