Summer is a wonderful time, to enjoy the sun, the fresh air, and generally all of that time outside! Outdoor pets especially love this season, but we all need to be aware of just how much our pets rely on having enough H2O to stay properly hydrated.
Fun Facts from our H2O blog!
- The average 10 lb dog will drink 1 & 1/4 cups of water per day, and the average 50 lb dog may drink up to 6 cups per day
- Pets that are nursing, have diarrhea or have health problems such as diabetes require more water than average
- The average 8 lb cat drinks roughly 8 ounces of water per day
- Some cats prefer to have their water lightly flavoured with a splash of chicken or fish broth
“Toilet water is not an acceptable source of water! The unsanitary levels of dangerous bacteria that are found in toilets can make your pet very sick.”
To learn more facts about your animals and how much water they need to be happy and healthy, read H2O: A Summertime Essential for Pets.
Ontario SPCA Tips for Keeping Pets Cool:
1. Add ice to your pets water
2. Have a fan or air conditioning going at all times on hot days
3. Make cool treats for your pets
Enjoy the rest of your summer, and keep keeping your pets cool!
Take the pledge at nohotpets.ca #NoHotPets