Happy Thanksgiving from the Ontario SPCA to all of you!!
Or take a look at the Ontario SPCA Media Release on Thanksgiving safety for your weekend – turkey isn’t good for everyone!
Turkey Day Tips
Here are some of the main tips of things to watch out for:
- Keep sage and many other herbs away from pets. They can cause gastrointestinal upset if eaten in large quantities.
- Don’t give your pet raw bread dough. An animal’s body heat causes dough to rise in his stomach causing vomiting, etc.
- If you’re baking up Thanksgiving cakes, be sure your pets keep their noses out of the batter.
- Don’t allow your pets to overindulge, as they could wind up with a case of stomach upset or diarrhea.
- While the humans are chowing down, give your cat and dog their own little feast!
- Make sure all garbage is secure and not left to tempt a pet when we aren’t looking.
- Pets are attracted to aluminum foil, wax paper and plastic wrap. These items can cause digestive issues if eaten.
- Some pets become nervous with all the excitement and may need a quiet refuge away from all the noise and excitement.
- If there will be lots of doors opened and closed, be careful that there are no escapes!
Enjoy the holiday and stay safe!