Valentine’s Day is known for it’s red tones, romantic movies, love references, and of course: chocolate.
Many of us love to have some chocolate and candy in our lives, but when it comes to our pets – we need to be careful! Here is a brief reminder to keep your pets safe while you enjoy all Valentine’s Day has to offer.
Chocolate can be particularly poisonous for pets, but raw sugar and sugar substitutes like xylitol should also be kept away from your pets. This is because a lot of these chocolates are pure sugar and animals’ systems aren’t used to that level of intake.
It’s not only the substance of chocolate! Make sure if you’re having any candy or chocolate, that you make sure the packaging is being safely thrown away. Plastics/wrappers are typically petroleum by-products, which isn’t good for pets to ingest. Pets can also choke on extra parts in the packaging like sticks, or strings, which, if they unravel in the gut can cause binding, which has serious consequences.
Happy Valentine’s Day!