10 pet-friendly activities for the long weekend
The dog days of summer are upon us. The long weekend is the perfect opportunity to spend quality time with your four-legged friends. Instead of parking yourself on the sofa, get out and enjoy the beautiful weather with your dog. The physical activity and fresh air is not only good for your health, it’s also good for your mind, too.
If you’re not sure what to do this weekend, we’ve got a few ideas to get you and your dog outside for some fun.
Awesome activities to keep you & your dog occupied over the long weekend!
- Take your dog for a hike on a local trail. Before you lace up your trusty hiking boots and head for the hills, read Into the Great Wide Open: Hiking With Your K-9 Companion, for tips on keeping your favourite four-legged friend safe and secure.
Go swimming at a local beach. Be sure to check with your municipality to ensure dogs are permitted. Before you put on your swimsuit take a minute to read water safety tips for your pets.
- Visit a dog park in your area or arrange a “play date” with friends. If your dog has never been to a dog park, read our 7 tips for introducing leash-free dog parks.
- Make homemade treats for your pet. See our Frozen Peanut Butter and Bananas recipe.
- Have a “staycation” in the backyard by picking out a new toy for your pooch or, better yet, make your own with our DIY dog toys.
- Register for the Friends for Life! Walk taking place in your community over the Sept. 24-25 weekend. Start your training and fundraising by going out for a walk in your neighbourhood and letting neighbours know you will be participating. Check out our tips on exercising with your dog.
- Have a picnic lunch. Don’t forget to pack food for your four-legged dining companion. Bring a blanket and enjoy your meal at a park or other suitable location. Before you grab your picnic basket, brush up on your knowledge of summertime dangers to ensure you and your pooch have a good time.
- Plan a camping trip with your dog. Check park regulations before reserving your site to verify dogs are permitted. Check out Ontario Parks tips on camping with dogs.
- Build a doghouse. If your dog spends a lot of time outdoors, they are required to have a suitable shelter they can retreat to, to keep him/her comfortable. To help get your creative juices flowing before you start building, check out our blog post and video on building the ideal doghouse.
- Rent a pet-friendly cottage for the weekend so you and your canine companion can get some R&R or seek out new adventures. While getting back to nature has its rewards, don’t take unnecessary risks. Read 6 tips to follow when bringing your pet to the cottage to ensure you both have a great getaway.
Those are just a few ideas to make your August long weekend an awesome long weekend! Have fun and stay safe and let us know what kept you and your dog entertained.
Three cheers for the volunteers!
Three cheers for the volunteers! Keep doing wonderful work, thank you!