5 fall pet hazards you wouldn’t expect
As we step further into fall, with the crunch of leaves beneath our feet and our paws, it is important to be aware of safety concerns that come with the season. Here are 5 fall pet hazards you wouldn’t expect:
Acorns and oak leaves:
Acorns contain tannins, which when ingested, can upset your furry friend’s digestive tract. This can result in vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. In some cases, kidney damage can also take place. Acorns can also be dangerous as they have the potential to cause blockages within the digestive tract, which can have serious consequences. Contact your veterinarian if you have any concerns.
Though mushrooms tend to be an issue more in the springtime; wet autumn seasons can also bring a lot of them out as well. If your furry friend eats a wild mushroom, contact your veterinarian or animal poison control immediately. Learn more here on our blog.
If you’re winterizing your cottage, boat or RV, be mindful of antifreeze! Antifreeze is toxic to animals. Yet, it can be appealing to them because of its sweet taste. Always be on the lookout for antifreeze spills around your car and be sure to clean them up immediately. If you suspect your animal has ingested antifreeze, contact an emergency veterinarian right away. For more on antifreeze, click here.
When mice start to look for somewhere warm to spend the winter, many people turn to rodenticides. While we do not recommend the use of such products, if you are planning on using rodenticides, make sure they are placed in areas not accessible to your companion animals. As an alternative, we recommend a holistic deterrent of vinegar and pepper mix spray.
If you like having candles or essential oils in your home to bring those fall smells, it’s important to know the potential risk for companion animals! Learn more about essential oils and your furry friends.
For more fall safety tips visit our blog – 6 fall safety tips for your family.
You can also read the ASPCA’s 5 toxic seasonal plants you don’t want your pet to fall for.
Thank you so much for all you do
Thank you so much for all you do every day to rescue animals in need. I can’t imagine the terrible situations that you see every day. It is great that you have the heart to help. Keep up the good work.