Eating household items is dangerous for pets
Although it may seem cute to play tug-of-war with a new puppy using an old sock, you may be setting your pet up for unhealthy habits when they’re older. Many pets every year require life-saving emergency surgery after ingesting household items such as dirty socks, children’s toys or coins.
When miscellaneous items are chewed or eaten by a pet, they can block and deteriorate sections of the intestine. This becomes fatal when dehydration or peritonitis occurs (bacteria leaking into the stomach).
If you’re worried your pet has eaten something from your home, you may notice symtoms such as loss of appetite, fever, vomiting and lack of energy within 48 hours. Always call your veterinarian for advice if you have any concerns about your pet’s health, and seek immediate attention if the item ingested was toxic (such as batteries, cleaning products or pest control).
Surgery to remove items from your pet’s stomach can run into the thousands of dollars, and is easily preventable! Store hazardous items in a safe location, well away from a pet’s curious reach. Keep kids toys and small items tucked away in closets and drawers. Restrict access to rooms with lots of small items if you’re out of the house, and while out on walks never allow your pet to lick or eat items they may find on the ground.
For more safety tips, visit www.ontariospca.ca/factsheets.
Dogs only ask for your love and attention
Dogs only ask for your love and attention, nothing else. Thank you for everything you do!