Foster volunteers needed!!
by Ontario SPCA and Humane Society | Interesting Northern projects | August 15, 2019
You can change the life of an animal in need by joining our team of foster volunteers and opening your home and heart to a foster friend. We are currently looking for general fostering and northern animal fostering!
Is fostering right for you? There are many things to consider when deciding to foster an animal.
Foster caregivers must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Attend required training
- Have access to transportation
- Complete a foster care application and sign a foster care agreement
- Sign up as an “on-deck” foster, ready to pick up your animal within a 36-hour timeframe
- Be able to set aside time (as often as every two weeks) to bring your foster animal in for follow-up vaccinations and spay/neuter surgery
- Take on the responsibility for routine care in your home during the foster period
- Ensure that animals can be fostered in your home
- Isolate foster animals from family pets within the home, as required
- Quarantine your foster animals for 14 days to prevent disease spread, as required
- Kitten/puppy-proof your home to reduce potential safety hazards
- Maintain a peaceful, loving environment for the foster animals and spend quality time socializing them
- Utilize the emergency contact number for after-hour emergencies
- Maintain communication with the Foster Program Coordinator
- Commit to the entire foster period with the animal
- Try to spend a minimum of two hours per day with kittens to socialize them and monitor their health (time commitments will vary depending on your foster animals). For socialization and enrichment ideas visit shelterhealthpro.com.
- Existing animals in your home must be up-to-date on vaccines and in good health
- Every family member in the household will need to be prepared for the commitment and emotions involved with fostering.
Foster Manual – Cats & Kittens
Foster Manual – Dogs & Puppies
Thank you for looking after these animals
Thank you for looking after these animals — I would love to have them all in my house!
Sign up for news and updates
Thank you for joining our online community.