Do you have a pet hamster? Are you looking to adopt or buy one? If so, it’s always a good idea to be up to date on proper hamster care. A few simple things you can do to help your new (or existing) hamster be as comfortable as possible are:
- Ensure your hamster’s enclosure is away from direct sunlight and drafts and lined with absorbent bedding.
- Feed your little guy (or girl) hamster mix. This mix contains seeds, grains, cracked corn and pellets. Hamster mix is available at most pet stores.
- Who doesn’t like a little variety in their diet? Try supplementing your hamster’s food with fresh foods, such as fresh grains, sunflower seeds and nuts every two or three days.
- Remove droppings, uneaten food and soiled bedding every day. Don’t forget to do a thorough cleaning of the entire cage once a week! Remove and replace bedding and scrub the bottom of the cage with hot, soapy water and rinse and dry well to remove any trace of chemicals.
- Provide enrichment! Commercially available hamster habitats are available as well as hamster wheels (solid walls only!) for them to use. There are also homemade toys you can make like cardboard paper towel and toilet paper rolls.
- Just like with any other pet, if you suspect they may be sick, seek veterinary care immediately.
There are many more hamster care tips on the ASPCA’s website. You may want to check those out as well!
Thank you so much for all you do
Thank you so much for all you do every day to rescue animals in need. I can’t imagine the terrible situations that you see every day. It is great that you have the heart to help. Keep up the good work.