How to enjoy Labour Day with your pets
The last splash of the summer is here! How will you be enjoying it with your pets? Comment below to tell us!
Here are a few tips on keeping your pets safe from our blog: Keeping pets safe on Labour Day: 10 Tips.
- Are you too hot? Your pet is too: Even with company around, make sure you’re aware of your pets comfort level with the heat. Have water readily available! Also limit time outside to short periods and try to go for walks in the early mornings or evenings when the weather is cooler.
- Water safety: Never leave your dog unsupervised by any body of water. Even the strongest swimmers can tire or get caught in a current. If you’re going out in a boat, outfit your dog with a canine-specific lifejacket.
- BBQ safety: Be aware of where your pet is while you’re using the barbecue. If you’re not beside it, close the grill to reduce the risk of injury.
- People food – not pet food: Not all people food is good for our pets to eat. Do your research before handing your pet scraps off the table. Also encourage guests not to share their food with your pets.
- Stress levels: If your pet isn’t comfortable with having strangers around, work out a system of introduction with your guests. You can also keep your pet in a separate room where they have toys and lots of water.
- Open doors: Guests can mean open doors and gates. Be careful to make sure all exits are secured so your pets don’t run away if they’re scared.
- ID: Verify your pet’s ID is current. Should your pet run away, having an updated ID tag or microchip on your pet will help ensure local animal services can find you to reunite you with your lost pet.
- Wildlife encounters: Reduce the risk of wildlife encounters by bringing pet food indoors at night, cleaning barbecue grills after use and keeping doors closed.
- Fireworks: Some people set off fireworks for Labour Day weekend. If there are fireworks around, keep your pets safe with our firework tips.
- No Hot Pets: Leave your pet at home if you can’t take them with you when you leave your car while running errands etc. Parked cars can quickly reach deadly temperatures, even on relatively mild days with the car parked in the shade and the windows slightly open.
As an animal lover all the work you do
As an animal lover all the work you do to help ensure that every dog and cat can find their forever home that is filled with love is greatly appreciated.