Onion Toxicity in Pets

by | General Pet Care |

Did you know that onions are detrimental to your pet’s health?

Both cats and dogs are susceptible to an ingredient called thiosulphate which is naturally found in onions. If your pet ingests too much of this ingredient for his or her body to handle, they will suffer from hemolytic anemia, which causes damage to the red blood cells. Onion toxicity can be extremely dangerous for your pet, and will make them severely ill.

Onion Toxicity in Pets

Many pets experience onion toxicity due to the feeding of table scraps in which onions were used in the food. Your pet may have a sensitivity and be predisposed to a severe reaction that you won’t know about until it’s too late.

Always feed your pet with a veterinarian-approved diet, and avoid feeding table scraps to prevent onion toxicity.

We have supported the OSPCA since 1951

We have supported OSPCA since our arrival in Canada in 1951.  Keep up the greatest  T.L.C. for animals.

-Paul & Des