Quarantine activities to do with your furry friend
Due to the recent stay-at-home order announced in Ontario, pet parents may be looking for some fun activities to keep everyone at home busy on Family Day. Here are some ideas for at-home activities you can do with your furry friend:
Go for a walk
- Although it’s cold outside, going for a short walk will encourage both you and your furry friend to get your bodies moving and get some Vitamin D (when the sun’s out that is!). During the winter months, depending on the weather conditions, you may need to cut your walks shorter to protect your dog from the elements. While they might look at you with those big brown eyes hoping for more playtime, you can supplement their exercise with some fun indoor activities. For tips on how to tell if your dog is too cold, read this blog!
Have a movie marathon
- Pick your favourite movie or movie series and cuddle up with your furry friend.. Spending some quality time with your companion animal this Family Day can be very calming and relaxing. This one’s a great option for both cats and dogs!
Enjoy the snow
- If you have snow where you are, get outside and enjoy it! Building snowmen and making snow angels are always fun and your dog can tag along and may even enjoy playing in the snow with you. You can also visit trails or parks near your house; just make sure to practice physical distancing and abide by any rules regarding use!
- There are many pet-friendly treat recipes online and some on our blog, including these easy, dog treat recipes to make at home. Try out these treats and see which one your furry friend likes the best. You might make some treats for yourself while you’re at it, too!
- This simple activity can be fun for both you and your canine companion. First, buy some special treats or toys online. Then place them around your house or backyard while your dog is in another room. Then let your dog out to go find them and watch the search!
- There are also great enrichment tools for your cats! Check out how to build your own cat food puzzle HERE.
- While spending some quality time with your furry friend, you can teach them some new tricks! There are lots of online resources with tips for training, including our blog. Check out more tips here, or visit our YouTube channel.
- You could also try hide and seek or interactive games to keep your animals occupied. Visit shelterhealthpro.com for more enrichment tips.
Since it is Family Day, it is the perfect opportunity to spend some quality time with your family and furry friends! If you do any of these activities, feel free to take a picture and share it with us on Facebook or Instagram: @ontariospca and #ospcainsta
Thank you for your dedication
Thank you for your dedication to helping the animals. Every animal deserves a loving home and to be treated royally. Just imagine a day without animal cruelty. What a wonderful day that would be!