Stagnant Water Can Be Life Threatening to Your Pet

by | General Pet Care |

Stagnant water, and its dangers
Courtesy of ASPCA blog.

Stagnant water can be a real danger to your pet.

Blue-green algae, specifically, can endanger the life of your pet. This algae forms on or near bodies of water during warm weather months. It can be found in ponds and lakes, fresh water, backyard fountains, or even on rocks.

Your dog can be affected if they drink from or swim in contaminated sources.

Signs of blue-green algae toxicity in stagnant water include:

  • Seizures
  • Panting
  • Excessive drooling
  • Respiratory failure
  • Diarrhea
  • Disorientation
  • Vomiting
  • Liver failure
  • Death

Don’t allow your pets to drink from stagnant ponds, lakes or other bodies of water that have bluish-green scum on the surface or around the edges.

The cells of the blue-green algae can also latch onto your pet’s fur, which can be invested when the animal cleans itself. This is why it’s important to wash your dog after they have been in contact with any bodies of water..

For more information go to ASPCA’s blog.