The Dangers of Ice Melt

by | General Pet Care |

The winter months often bring slippery conditions on roads, sidewalks, and walkways leading to your house.   It’s important to keep these clean and safe for both you and your pet.  While ice melt and salt are popular choices to use when treating slippery surfaces, they can be harmful to your pets.

Most ice melt products contain sodium chloride, potassium chloride, magnesium chloride, calcium carbonate, and calcium magnesium acetate, which can irritate a dog’s paw or be harmful and even fatal if ingested.

Tips to Keep your Pets Safe

Keep their paws clean: When returning from a walk, always wipe your pet’s paws to clean out any ice melt or salt that may have got stuck in their fur.  Pets like to lick their paws and this will ensure they aren’t ingesting any toxic substances.

Use pet safe products: When using ice-melting products, opt for non-toxic pet safe brands such as Safe Paws or Morton Safe-T-Pet or ask your local pet store for similar products they might have in stock.

Purchase booties: You might use pet safe products around the yard, however many municipalities use salt on the sidewalks which can aggravate your pet’s paws.  Try putting booties on your pet before going out to public areas.

According to ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, vomiting was the most common clinical sign, present in 30% of reported cases, with diarrhea being the next most common sign. Ingestion of ice melt products can cause depression, tremors, disorientation, loss of appetite, increased water consumption, seizures and even death!  Make sure to protect your pets by following these simple tips.

If you suspect your pet of having ingested ice melt, contact your veterinarian.

Check out additional pet safety tips here.

Speaking for the ones who can’t speak for themselves

Keep up the good work speaking for the ones who can’t speak for themselves. A society who cares for their animals is a better society.  Thanks for your good work!

-Suzali