The Ideal Doghouse
It’s that time of year. The cold is setting in and we need to get the house ready for winter to make sure we will keep warm. We also need to make sure our dog’s house is up to par so they stay warm.
Is your doghouse ready for the winter?
Some breeds of dogs can live outside during the winter if they are provided with an insulated doghouse of the proper dimensions. Dimensions are directly related to the size of the dog and are critically important if the dog is to maintain warmth in the doghouse with its own body heat.
Things to consider before housing your dog outdoors:
– Dogs should be acclimatized to outdoor living when they are young and the weather is warm.
– During severe weather, dogs may have to be brought inside the family home.
– Aged, young or infirm dogs should not be housed outdoors, especially during cold weather.
– Dogs with short coats are prone to frostbite and cannot endure the cold temperatures very easily.
Things to consider when building your doghouse:
– Exteriors should be finished with a weatherproof material or non-leaded paint.
– Bedding materials should be put in the sleeping area, straw is recommended over blankets. Bedding should be changes every 1 to 2 weeks.
– A burlap or canvas outside flap should be used to provide more weather protection.
– The house should be elevated on bricks or cinder blocks to keep the floor dry.
It’s critical that your pets stay warm during the winter months and all year long. Any dog being kept outside at any time of the year needs to have a proper and suitable dog house according to the Ontario SPCA Act.
For more information on the ideal doghouse, as well as instructions on how to build the perfect housing for your outdoor dog, read our Ideal Doghouse brochure.
Additional tips on keeping your pets safe during the cold winter months can be viewed online at www.ontariospca.ca.
Thank you so much for all you do
Thank you so much for all you do every day to rescue animals in need. I can’t imagine the terrible situations that you see every day. It is great that you have the heart to help. Keep up the good work.