The height of tick season is upon us, so we want to help you be prepared if any of these creatures enter your pet’s life with this video on how to remove ticks.
In this video with Monica Seto, Manager of Shelter Health and Wellness, we show you how to properly and safely remove a tick from your pet.
Watch now and let us know what you think in the comments below!
How to remove ticks
What you need:
- Rubber gloves
- Plastic bag to dispose of tick
- Tweezers or special tick removal tool
- Grasp tick as close to the skin surface as possible – trying to keep the head and mouth parts intact.
- Pull upward with a steady, even pressure – don’t jerk or twist the tick, this could cause the mouth and head to break off.
- *Dispose of the tick.
- Thoroughly wash the bite area and your hands with soap and water.
*To dispose; either submerse in alcohol, place in a sealed bag, wrap tightly in tape, or flush it down the toilet.
Watch the whole video for more helpful tips on how to remove ticks!
To learn more about ticks and Lyme disease check out these two blogs: